The wellbeing of the candidates who receive Leaving Certificate results will be supported through a number of additional measures.
a. The SEC Candidate helpline will be available at 1800 111 135 or 1800 111 136 from 10 AM to 5 PM from Friday 25 August to Monday 4 September including weekends. Outside of these hours queries may be e-mailed to email@example.com. This helpline is provided for queries relating to the Candidate Self Service Portal and the services provided through the portal.
b. The National Parents and Students Leaving Certificate Helpline, at 1800 265 165, which is provided by the National Parents Council will be available on dates and times outlined in the table below for students to reach a guidance counsellor with any queries that they may have. This helpline will operate until after the CAO first round offers and is staffed by qualified guidance counsellors from the Institute of Guidance Counsellors.
c. Wellbeing resources developed by the National Educational Psychological Service of the Department of Education are available at www.gov.ie/leavingcert
d. Information available from the Central Applications Office (CAO) is available at www.cao.ie. Mental Health Support Information is provided through the HSE and HSE-funded service providers https://www2.hse.ie/services/mental-health-supports-and-services/mental-healthsupports-and-services.html
Access to Data – Candidates will see their marks including for each component
12 Noon Tuesday 29 August
Application to View Scripts
LC Online Application
Opens: 5 PM Tuesday 29 August
Closes: 8 PM Wednesday 30 August
Viewing of Scripts
Manually Marked Scripts Candidates will be assigned to one of two three-hour sessions on Saturday 2 September;
Session 1. 9.30 AM – 12.
Session 2. 2PM – 5 PM
Online Marked Scripts * Online access to view over the 24-hour period;
9 AM Saturday 2 September and 9 AM Sunday 3 September.
Application to Appeal
LC Online Application and Payment Opens: 10 AM Sunday 3 September Closes: 5 PM Monday 4 September
CSSP - Date to be confirmed.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON KEY DATES
• The facility to view examination scripts is provided free of charge. The fee to appeal a result is €40 per subject for Leaving Certificate and €15.50 per subject for Leaving Certificate applied. The fee is refunded in the case of a successful appeal.
• To provide for the earliest possible issue of the appeal results, the timelines for candidates to apply to view scripts and to lodge their appeal applications are very short. To ensure that the remaining stages of the appeals process can be completed as quickly as possible, the deadlines will be strictly applied.
• The SEC will not accept late applications for viewing or for appeals. Some preliminary details of the appeals process that will operate this year.
Access to Data
On Tuesday 29 August at 12 noon candidates will be able to access more detailed information about each of their examination results including the overall marks that they achieved in the examination; the individual marks in each components of a subject, and details of the any post marking adjustment to these marks. This data is intended to help candidates to understand how they performed in the examinations and may be of assistance to any candidates considering an appeal.
Viewing of Scripts
The Viewing of Scripts process is a core part of the SEC’s examination appeals and quality assurance. It allows candidates to see how the marking scheme in each subject has been applied to their scripts and to make an informed decision as to whether or not to make an appeal. Applying to View Applications to view Leaving Certificate examination scripts must be made by candidates through the Candidate Self Service Portal between 5 PM on Tuesday 29 August and 8 PM m on Wednesday 30 August.
There are two different processes this year for viewing of scripts depending on how the script was marked.
a) Viewing online through the Candidate Self Service Portal b) Viewing in-person in schools It is important to note that candidates may have to attend school to view some of their scripts and use the portal to access others. a) Viewing online through the Candidate Self Service Portal With online marking in the majority of subjects for the 2023 Leaving Certificate, most script viewing will be online through the Candidate Self Service Portal. The online viewing process is delivered through the Candidate Self Service Portal and involves candidates having timebound access to PDFs of the scripts which they can print or download. Online viewing in these subjects will be available over the 24-hour period from 9 AM on Saturday 2 September to 9 AM on Sunday 3 September. Please refer to table of Leaving Certificate subjects and components that were marked online at Appendix A.
b) Viewing in schools There is still a need to provide candidates with in-person script viewing in schools for those subjects, or components of subjects, which were manually marked. Even in subjects which were marked online there are some exceptions which require scripts to be returned to schools for viewing. The following material will be returned to schools for in person viewing;
• Examination scripts in subjects which were manually marked.
• Certain components of subjects which were marked online (e.g. the LCVP portfolio).
• Upon receipt of your application to view examination scripts in the Deferred Examination series, these examination scripts will be returned for viewing to the school in which you were due to sit the original examination in June and NOT the school in which you later sat the deferred examination. (These examinations were not marked online).
• Scripts in online marked subjects that were in atypical format such as Brailled, Enlarged or Modified scripts or scripts in audio format.
• Upon receipt of your application to view Leaving Certificate Applied examination scripts these examination scripts will be returned for viewing to the school.
Viewing in Schools will take place on Saturday 2 September and candidates will be assigned to one of two viewing sessions as follows;
Applications to appeal must be made through the Candidate Self Service Portal between 10 AM Sunday 3 September and 5 PM Monday 4 September. A valid application will comprise both the application to appeal and the payment of the appeal fee. In order that the SEC can process the appeals as quickly as possible, the appeal application deadline will be strictly applied and late applications will not be accepted under any circumstances.